Friday, July 6, 2007
Together, we make it through
Sometimes in life, one realises the power of working together as a team, because left alone in some cases, there is absolutely no hope of making it through. Well, at least I come across such situations quite frequently in our hostel, a day before the MAL(mathematics) exam. It starts like a regular pre-examination day. I check the syllabus and the study material available with me. Usually there is a shortage of notes (this is the moment I pledge to attend all the classes the next time..), so an arrangement has to be made with someone who has the entire material (there is a long queue of course, suddenly he is the most wanted guy). With that much done, its time for lunch...what!! so soon, and I haven't even started yet.."Doesn't matter, don't lose hope, there are still so many hours left, and you have already read the entire thing once, right?" That isn't an angel speaking ! Its just me, consoling myself. So I take up the notes and start off. Its not late that I realise its just not possible. Even if I manage to cover the theory part myself, the questions will pass over my head. Its time to visit the other guys and see how they are faring. There is a weird exchange of smiles (sometimes followed by giggles too, and sometimes by curses against the proffesor..) as the truth sets in that we need to work out of this together. So a few phone calls are made, and the electrical department of our hostel is brought to one room. Then begins the process of finding each other's progress so far, and I must admit that we get frank statements from each one (which funnily, is not easy to extract at other times !). There is realisation that all the questions can be solved after all, on a mutual helping basis. The operation begins, question by question, and somehow there is always at least one person who can solve the problem. This is exactly how the system of mutual sharing works. There are hurdles, of course..people in the hallway, always making comments about our situation, laughing at our worried faces. But we usually drive these people away by starting to shout our slogan 'Jai Batti' (thats 'Hail the electrical department' if you don't get 'Batti') at the top of our voice. As clock ticks by, the energy level fades away..usually an hour or two after midnight, a decision to end the 'operation' is made. With considerable (but not foolproof) preparation done, the group disperses wishing each other luck (and a request to wake each other up the next day, just to be sure). To be frank, the process of working as a team has not helped me a lot in my MAL grades, but it surely succeeds in bolstering up the confidence level, and helps in getting a good night's sleep before the test.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment