Breaking News Flash on 'Aaj Tak' : "Apparently, a few kilos of 'ras-gulle' were stolen during the Aish-Abhishek wedding ceremony"...Now did you know that? I bet you didn't. But then, that's why the media is always there for you, informing you about everything you need to know to be called a true citizen of the country. Thats not all, you can also listen to the comments of 'aam janta' on such sensitive issues. Issues range from being spiritual(ly backward ones) like a man remembering his previous birth, to celebrity hookups and breakups, Shilpa Shetty and Richard Gere kissing or Rakhi Sawant getting molested in public (like anyone actually care about what happens to her). On a serious note, I frequently ponder about how the level of news channels has reached abysmally low depths. When Prince was stuck in a trench several feet deep, nothing else was aired all day long except videos of temples and mosques offering prayers for him. (At the risk of sounding atheistical) I wondered how it was going to help him at all ! And in a population of 100 crore, is there nothing else to show on screen?
However I have come to a conclusion that most of the time, I actually enjoy watching such news bulletins and mocking them. As a matter of fact, whenever I find nothing entertaining on other channels, I switch to India TV and it never fails to provide a few moments of satirical humour. My personal favourite was the one where a man claimed he was going to die in a few hours, that he had had visions of God. Of course he eventually lived...thanks to postponement of that unfortunate 'ghadi' (Seems like Yamraj decided to use the Indian railways for a change, and got stranded on the way !).
The truth is that instead of helping in getting rid of superstitions prevailing in the lower strata of society, media has decided to sink to their standards, spreading rumours faster than ever. I actually refer to the print media for current-affairs, and the TV news for gossip and entertainment. So eventually, the producers are happy (they are getting good TRPs, thanks to me), I am happy (hey! I don't despise entertainment), and the people on-screen are happy (they enjoy their few moments of fame). In this process of generating complacency, the main motive of news-reporting is lost somewhere, its more of news-making now. Reminds me of cooking, where adding the right spices and serving stuff hot makes all the difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment